You’ve found us, now are you ready to join us?
If you are thinking about membership in The University Church, the first step is to meet with a pastor for an informal session where you will learn more about The University Church, get to know about our mission and outreach, and review expectations regarding membership. Contact our pastor to find out more.
At The University Church we think of membership as a covenant of responsibility within and among the community.
Members covenant to support the church through their prayers, their presence, their gifts, their service and their witness:
- Pray and worship together regularly.
- Continue to grow in the faith by participating in small group studies.
- Serve God by volunteering within the church family, the broader community and throughout the world.
- Support the ministries of the church financially, in proportion to their income.
- Invite others to join the life of the community.
In the University Church family we understand Holy Baptism to be a covenant of community involving an individual and God.
Persons of all ages can be baptized at The University Church and adult nonmembers are encouraged to join the church family after being baptized. We recognize baptisms performed within other expressions of the Christian faith. Over the centuries many in the Christian tradition have come to understand baptism in different ways or to place special emphasis on certain aspects of baptism. We find the understanding of baptism described in “By Water and the Spirit” to be helpful. The document is available as a pdf file at no cost here.
We baptize by immersion, by sprinkling or by pouring. Here we see Brenna, one of our church family, undertaking baptism by immersion prior to joining the church:
Confirmation is when a personal decision is made to confirm the vows of baptism.
Teenagers declare their commitment to Christ and their wish to become full adult members of our church family.
The University Church offers three types of membership:
- Professing: what used to be called a “full” member, this is someone joining both The United Methodist Church (as a denomination) and its local expression in The University Church; this can be as a “transfer” from another Christian congregation, or by baptism and/or “renunciation of sin and profession of faith.”
- Affiliate: someone who wishes to retain his/her membership in another United Methodist Church but who chooses to “affiliate” with us here at The University Church.
- Associate: someone who is a member of another Christian denomination (e.g., Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.) who wishes to retain his/her membership in that denomination, but who chooses to “associate” with us here at The University Church.
If you think you are ready to join the family and commit to something important that truly matters, then contact our pastor to arrange a meeting.